An Epic Day of Sport!

I love World Cup years! I love the fact that there is football, tennis, F1, all packed into one very small time frame. Sorry for those of you who don't like football but the World Cup is the biggest sporting event in the world AND I LOVE IT. I have been glued to pretty much all the group phase games...particularly for my beloved countries GHANA and ENGLAND! My nation of birth and my heritage; I just have to rep both to the fullest!


To be honest, the vibe in South Africa looks amazing but the African teams have been awful as have many of the European teams. So come yesterday, I had a tense day ahead as England faced Slovenia and Ghana faced Germany to qualify...

So up first ENGLAND; the perrenial under-achievers. It can get so annoying, there is so much heartache in the ups and downs of supporting England. The fact that the other nations hate us and wish us ill, and the press hype the team up so high that they can never come good. But this year, many felt the 'golden generation' should peak and come good. Then Rio Ferdinand got injured and my heart sank a bit...then we played the USA, and the draw was a little disappointing...then we played Algeria and I almost gave up! But THEN something incredible happened...when England came out for the match yesterday they were ready. They were on it. AND WE WONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!
Pheeeeeeeeeew!

Round two. Supporting GHANA. The 'youngest' African team. Errr......really?! Hmmm, moving on. We have been organised and solid for a few years now. After a very good result against Serbia and a disappointing game against Australia. THE TEST. Borga-land. We were to play the jamians! Ebei! Even though both teams included a Boateng, there was only ever one team I wanted to win...the one that included the Mensah's, Asamoah's, Ayew's, etc. But honestly, I expected ANNIHILATION. But it didn't happen. We held them for an hour and even deserved to score and though we lost, WE ARE THROUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!


I was almost beside myself last night! How could both my teams go through. And even better they don't face each other. In such a game, I would surely have to take to my bed and sleep. Enye sa menya hypertension paaaaaaa (tr: If not then I'd have really bad hypertension)! PHEW! Job done!

And as if that was not enough, who caught Wimbledon last night?!
The longest game in Tennis history. 2 sets all 59-59 in the final set. Erm.....WOW.

Indeed an epic day in sport!

Category:

6 opinionated people have something to say:

Sankofa said...

I call this summer a "perfect storm of sport". Screw those who don't like Wimbledon and the World Cup. NOTHING gets better than this in sport. Go Blackstars! Go England! Go Federer! (even though he's had me worried in his matches so far) Go Serena!

Isner and Mahut deserve a special award for being the marathon men of tennis. How can people tennis is boring?!

Last Born Child said...

I felt the same way you did watching the matches yesterday. Football has never stressed me aout before but yesterday, I was beside myself. Thankfully it all came good in the end for both teams.

I thought I'd watch the tennis afterwards to destress and then that turned into all kinds of world-breaking.

Afrocentric said...

Football was amazing yesterday!! Trust me, since the world cup began, I haven't been doing much work.

Like you, Nsro, I had given up on England. I thought it was an absolute joke that they still expected to win, but then Defoe defied defeat! yay!!

Ghana too also did us proud. They may not have scored a goal but they sure did put up a fight. May God bless them and grant them the strength to beat USA!

Amen.

Nsoromma...Child of the Heavens said...

I'm still in disbelief about yesterday. I have that wierd anti-climax you get when for you there has been a sysmic shift in the universe but for most other people nothing much has happened.

And that tennis match, jheeeze! I cannot quite believe that it's really happening...this is tennis and someone has to win. But this is a DRAW to me!

Nana Yaa said...

I thought for sure I was going to get a heart attack yesterday. I was just too scared to watch the match...so I didn't but that didn't help. I actually fell ill yesterday, lol. Glad Ghana was able to advance. Thank God, I hope he sees us through the other matches, Amen.

Nsoromma...Child of the Heavens said...

I can relate to feeling ill Nana Yaa, it was almost to much! Soooo proud of our boys!

Related Posts with Thumbnails